Earn WSIB rebates, reduce injuries and lower your WSIB costs! GVCA Safety Group is your partner in health and safety.
The GVCA has been a certified WSIB Safety Group Sponsor for 10 years and currently has 100 members across 3 Chapters (Cambridge, London and St. Catharines), consisting of large and small General and Trade Contractors, Manufacturers, and Suppliers of Construction.
What are WSIB Safety Groups?
WSIB Safety Group program is a one year performance-based premium rebate program in which companies work together on 5 key safety initiatives designed to reduce injury frequency and severity, and improve their workplace health and safety. The program allows companies to create a health and safety management system, remain WSIB compliant and reduce injuries.
How does it work?
Companies implement their safety initiatives through a 5 step continuous improvement cycle. From December—November, members attend monthly working meetings, share best practices, attend training, and receive support all from our safety group facilitator as they work towards successfully implementing their topics.
Members can complete up to 5 years in the program, selecting new topics each year.
Who is it for?
Companies who are committed to improving their health and safety, are looking to build a network and share best practices with other like-minded companies in the region.
To participate in the Safety Groups Program, you must:
- be a Schedule 1 firm;
- be in good standing with the WSIB;
- be committed to participating for at least one full calendar year;
- not be a member of the Small Business Health and Safety Programs (formerly SCIP); and
- participate in only one safety group at a time.
WSIB Safety Group: $1,925 +HST per year +3% rebate fee (invoiced when rebates are received in 2020).
LITE Membership: $1,275+HST per year
*More information about membership below
Successful firms earn a rebate of up to 5% of their total premiums paid to WSIB, in addition to any rebates or savings already received through WSIB.
Each successful company will receive a base rebate of $3,000, plus an aggregate amount based on their percentage of premiums paid to WSIB.
In 2017, the GVCA Safety Group scored 4.86% out of 5%!
- Earn rebate of up to 5% of your WSIB premiums
- Reduce injuries, illness and Lost Time Injuries (LTIs)
- Fewer WSIB claims and costs
- Enhanced employee morale
- Gives your company a competitive advantage
- Create and nurture a safety culture in the workplace
- Preparation for new WSIB rate framework
- Case Management training
- Industry expert seminars
- Multiple company representatives may attend meetings
- Full audit preparation if selected for a Safety Group audit
- Access to health & safety resources
- Sponsor and facilitator acts as YOUR advocates at the local, provincial and federal levels
- Assists with preparation for Accreditation program
- Facilitated by professional health and safety consultant with 20+ years experience
- Networking with like-minded companies—opportunity for problem-solving
- Smaller groups/more personal attention—other groups have large groups and large topics
- Safety templates provided
- Review of Forms 7s / case management support
Safety Group Programs Available
First Year Member: $1,925 +HST per year +3% rebate fee*
Returning Member: $1,675+HST per year +3% rebate fee*
*3% rebate fee is invoiced when rebates are received in 2020 .
What is included?
- Financial incentive – potential to earn up to 5% of your WSIB premiums (over an above any rebates you may already receive).
- 10 local working meetings per year (held in Cambridge, London and St. Catharines)
- Multiple company representatives may attend the meetings (no charge for additional seats)
- 2 hours of private consulting with safety facilitator
- Safety topic templates
- Monthly meeting notes, including WSIB, MOL and industry updates/news
- Full support and guidance from our professional health and safety facilitator
- Injury Management – Form 7 assistance
- Case Management training (4 hour course) offered to all members twice per year
- Industry expert seminars
- Advocacy provincially and federally
- Full audit preparation if selected for an Safety Group audit
For more information, including program fees, please contact Sarah firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-622-4822 x 124
What is Safety Group LITE?
A no-pressure version of the full WSIB program, LITE members participate in all aspects of the Safety Group program, but are not required to report to WSIB, will not be selected for an audit and are not eligible for WSIB rebates. LITE runs parallel to the full program (December—November) and is a great option for companies who are new to the Safety Groups program.
$1,275+HST per year
2018 program begins in December 2018 and runs through to November 2019, however companies are welcome to join at any point in the year.
Managing and Injured Worker – 5 Common Mistake Employers Make
Hiring a New Employees in Construction
Communication is Key
Safety Group Member Testimonials
“As Manager of Health & Safety for an organization of over 280 employees which in turn employ hundreds of trade partners across southern Ontario The Grand Valley Construction Association Safety Group has proven to be a huge asset to our organization. Any business involved in the construction industry would benefit from participating in a safety group and it is no wonder that this safety group has achieved such recognition as Canadian Construction Association National Safety Award 2015. Supported by a wonderful team of professionals the group is facilitated by Ellaline Davies whose knowledge and enthusiasm is only outstanding. If you need a partner to work with your Health & Safety Program the GVCA-SG would be our number one recommendation.”
–John Craig, CHSO, Reid’s Heritage Group of Companies
“The GVCA Safety Group program has increased our health and safety knowledge exponentially! The program allows for a much greater understanding of why policies and procedures are so important for both the worker and for the employer. Ellaline is incredibly thorough and ensures each and every member of the group has a full grasp on each of the topics each year, as well as current issues in the health and safety field.”
–Sarah Dyck – H.D. Painting and GCW Custom Kitchens & Cabinetry, Inc.
“The program provides companies with the tools and guidance to maintain a sustainable safety program for their employees.
The ongoing assistance and support from the group’s facilitator, Ellaline Davies, has been outstanding. Her experience and knowledge is a great asset to the program.
As the controller and safety coordinator of this company, I fully believe in and support the program to its fullest.”
-Karen Sammutt, Controller, Sure-Fix Service Group Inc.
“I would like to mention that I feel I have a true partner in the business with regards to safety. We appreciate and welcome all the information we receive from our Safety Group consultant. This is not something we can manage alone. The support my firm has received in dealing with difficult issues recently is invaluable and has given us confidence and knowledge. I feel that the participation in the Safety Group sets us apart from other firms in our industry.”
-Anthony D. Vitaterna, President Nexterra Substructures Incorporated
Looking for more? Check out our YouTube channel for live testimonials
Safety Group In The News
WSIB Announces 2018 Small Business Health And Safety Leadership Awards
Congratulations to SG Cunningham and Zero Environmental, GVCA members and WSIB Safety Group members.
GVCA WSIB Safey Group 10th Anniversary
GVCA Safety Group Members score 97.14% on 2017 Validation Audits!
2017 Safety Group Audits were completed in March and April 2018, for work completed in the 2016 Safety Group program. GVCA is pleased to announce that Safety Group Members achieved an average score of 97.14% on the 2017 Validation Audits!
The following firms were selected, and successfully completed a 2017 WSIB Safety Group Validation Audit:
Coons Heating & Sheet Metal Ltd.
D.F. Brown Roofing
GCW Custom Kitchens and Cabinetry Inc.
Great Northern Insulation
K-W Cornerstone Paving Ltd.
S.G. Cunningham (Kitchener) Limited
V. Gibbons Contracting Ltd.
They collectively scored an average of 97.14%!
Their high achievement scores have verified that GVCA Safety Group members have successfully implemented and integrated the requirements of the 2017 WSIB Safety Group program requirements. Their commitment to creating a safer and healthier workplace is commendable.
Thank you to Ellaline Davies, GVCA Safety Group Facilitator for assisting members with audit preparation and to Lawrence Medas, WSIB Safety Group Consultant for conducting the audits.